Historically Themed Video Games – ‘Detention’
In this project, I explored the online game called ‘Detention’. Throughout this online game, I will be Investigate the historical context in gaming and more specifically, how the integration in-game and history demonstrate the social significance and its potential.
Brief introduction – ‘Detention’
‘Detention’ is a 2D atmospheric horror game set in a fictitious world in the 1960s Taiwan under martial law, Detention, the story-driven atmospheric horror incorporated Taiwanese and Chinese culture and mythology rarely used in games. Taoism, Buddhism, Chinese mythology, the game draws on local Taiwanese cultural references to tell a unique and terrifying story.
In this 2D atmospheric horror side-scroller, players navigate the main characters in a classic point and click fashion to explore a high school where evil encroaches. While hiding from the rampaging monsters, you are to find items to interact within the otherworldly rooms. And as more mysteries unveiled, the dark past of a cursed school will finally surface. The game provided players with unique graphics and gaming experience.(Electronic Arts Inc, 2017)
Aims & Focus questions
I will look at the implications of the games – ‘Detention’ and explain how historical games helping people memorize the past, teaching and understanding history also entertaining people. Here some questions and focus that I want to research out in this project:
- How to demonstrate the social significance and potential by synthesis game and historical through ‘Detention’?
- How and why the game can receive overwhelming attention from the media and players?
- How localizing a Taiwanese game for Western audiences through ‘Detention’?
- The narrative and gameplay design in the game – ‘Detention’
- The gamer’s or non-gamer’s perspective and review of historical themes game – ‘Detention’
Utilising Platforms & Project plan
In this digital artefact, I decided to use a WordPress Blog to create a multimedia project which can catch the attention of my audience and experience the fun of the game. I will document the research progress in the blog, which can keep me on track at each stage of my research.
The DA’s utility is to show the integration in-game and history demonstrate its potential and social significance, through this game to explain how historical games helping people recognize, teaching and remember the history, also entertaining people. Beside, my target audience will be focusing on a global audience, especially Western audiences and Asian to know more and understanding also acceptance about Taiwanese folklore in this game.
- How ‘Detention’ aimed at the globe? – Detention Postmortem: Localizing a Taiwanese game for Western audiences
- The film for Taiwanese horror game Detention finally has a release date
- The reason that the game can receive overwhelming attention – Exploring Business Models of Alternative Reality Games (Chinese academic journal)
- Taiwan’s historical game development, interviews with users and social significance through analysis of the game of “Detention” – (Chinese academic journal)
- Players game’s review – (Castoreh – 3:05:47-3:12:24) & (GTLive -2:51:07-2:54:20) & (jacksepticeye – 32:04- 37:22)
- Electronic Arts Inc, 2017. Origin. [online] Origin.com. Available at: <https://www.origin.com/aus/en-us/store/detention/detention> [Accessed 5 September 2020].
- Liu, T., 2017. Detention Postmortem: Localizing a Taiwanese game for Western audiences. [Blog] Gamasutra, Available at: <https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/TiffLiu/20170802/302285/Detention_Postmortem_Localizing_a_Taiwanese_game_for_Western_audiences.php> [Accessed 5 September 2020]. (Liu, 2017)
- Ye, J., 2019. The Film For Taiwanese Horror Game Detention Finally Has A Release Date. [online] South China Morning Post. Available at: <https://www.scmp.com/abacus/culture/article/3029429/film-taiwanese-horror-game-detention-finally-has-release-date> [Accessed 5 September 2020].
- Chang, Y., 2018. Exploring Business Models Of Alternative Reality Games. [online] National Cheng Chi University, pp.78-82. Available at: <http://thesis.lib.nccu.edu.tw/record/#G0104363083> [Accessed 5 September 2020]. (Chang, 2018)
- Weng, Z., 2019. 電玩遊戲與在地歷史的交會： 以《返校Detention》為例. Cultural Studies Quarterly, [online] (165), pp.3-19. Available at: <http://nccur.lib.nccu.edu.tw/handle/140.119/125925> [Accessed 5 September 2020]. (Weng, 2019)
- Castoreh, 2019. Cast Plays Detention 返校 (Taiwanese Horror) – Full Playthrough + True Ending – Twitch Highlight. Available at: <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xacX3P9SBaQ> [Accessed 5 September 2020]. (Castoreh, 2019)